Making the 28mm Pulp Robot

Although I'm not into Pulp gaming I just couldn't resist having a go at a Pulp style robot. This was also my first ever 25/28mm sculpt. The style I wanted was the same as all those cliff hangar serials on the TV back in the 20's and 30's. Essentially I wanted it to look like a man in a tin can style costume.

First up I decided to make this miniature out of the new modeling putty called ProCreate. I started by modelling the main body. For this I stuck some putty on the end of a piece of metal rod. I made the basic shape and tried a simple eye slit.

Next up I had a look at how I could make the arms and legs. I wanted a flexible tube look to the limbs. I also wanted nice big chunky shoulder pads and feet. So these I made by creating balls of putty and then cutting them in half. The limbs were more of a problem, I found some metal rods with the right look but they just would not bend. So in the end I had to heat them up on a stove while gently aplying pressure to get some sort of curve.

Next up I put the pieces together to see if I was on the right lines. You can see in stage 3 the first robot next to a 28mm Foundry cowboy. The robot was a bit to short so I re did the legs to make it a bit taller than the Foundry cowboy. Stage 3 also shows the additional work I did on the body by carving parts from it to make room for hip joints.

The feet came next and these were done by drilling a hole in the top of the feet and inserting the leg tubing. Although it was a tight fit I used super glue to stick them together. The vision slit was also changed at this point where I gave it a frame and holes for the screws to connect it. The discolouration of one of the legs comes from the heating process as previously mentioned.

The arms were next. For the shoulders I did the same as the feet. I cut out a piece of them and inserted one end of the arm. Again I used super glue to keep the arm in place. The same process I used for the hands. I was not going to be able to attach the hands any other way than by sticking them on. But I knew from a casting point of view this would not be strong enough. So I then started to add detail to the shoulders and hands to help support them.

As you can see from stage 6 I enclosed the shoulder joints and made them look like they were bolted on. Similar for the hands, I created a cuff and detail to make it look like the hands were screwed together. Lastly I added a similar cuff for the feet for detail and to help support the foot connection.

Lastly I added a few more bits of detail. The model had to be simple. Almost like it was a costume built on a low budget! So I just added a couple of plates to the front and back. So there we have it.