I then drybrushed the whole model with Coat d'Arms Gun Metal. I used a very big brush and after the first sweep of dry brushing found my using the brush to almost polish the model. This gave a nice even metal colour.
Reverting to type i then applied an ink wash of watered down Coat d'Arms Armour wash acros the whole model to collect in the grooves of the legs and other parts.
At this point I had a nice metalic looking tripod and did consider painting the front and back plates in a completely different colour like a yellow or very light grey. But in the end I remembered a pot of paint I had bought but never used. Coat d'Arms Enchanted Green. It is basically metalic green for painting fantasy elves magic weapons or something similar. Using it carefully I then used it to drybrush the model but only the body and head. I left the arms, legs and neck as the normal metal colour.
It came out so much better than I ever expected. I finished off
by adding a light grey drybrush to the cable arms and neck to
draw out the colour away from the metal. I also used the Enchanted
Green as a highlight on some of the edges. astly I used a simple
green ink wash to paint the bulb and inside casing of the light.
You can see here that it was successful enough to give a green
The base was done using a standard sand style of flock with some bits of slate to cover up the whole in the CD and it looked nice. I'm just so pleased with how this model came out. Considering it really is made out of just a cheap reading light, mini camera tripod and a computer cable, I'm biased but I think it looks fantastic!